Language is a wonderful and everchanging thing. In a week that sees ‘noob’ added to the dictionary, I feel that MMOs still have more to contribute to the evolution of the English language.
Here’s a few suggestions for objects, feelings, or situations where current vocabulary doesn’t quite cut it. We need new words for these:
- Travelling halfway around the world to a group or instance before suddenly realising that you left some critical item in your bank.
- The feeling you get when you respec from tanking/healing to dps, and you hit things and they fall over and you can’t stop giggling.
- The guy who always goes afk just before a boss pull. (note: noob may cover this one.)
- The sensation of wondering whether something you just discovered was meant to be there or is just a bug.
- In-game fishing zen.
- When one more person signs up than the group size will allow. It doesn’t matter what game you are playing or what the actual groupsize is.
- The screenshot that you take after a first kill.
- Realising that someone just signed up for your raid who you said you’d never group with again — but you need them to make up the numbers.
- The types of strange conversation that go on in your game’s main chat channel (if it has one). eg. Trade chat, Barrens chat (for the dinos)
- Someone who has been playing a game since the first day it went live.
- Very militaristic guilds, especially when the officers have delusions of grandeur.
- The kind of RP server which isn’t really very different from a regular server except that some of the names are better.
- The sinking feeling when a friend rerolls the same class/role as you and you know you’ll be fighting for group spots with them later.
- People who only log on to do dailies.
- Extended discussions in guild about what type of DKP system to use.
Feel free to suggest more!