So, we’re practically on the starting blocks for Cataclysm. Blizzard have made some tentative class previews and announced plans for raid changes. They finally confirmed yesterday that the Friends and Family Alpha test of the new expansion has begun. And amidst all the intense discussions between raid and guild leaders on how to adapt to the potential changes, people have started to think about which class to play or which alt to pick for the new Cataclysmic era.
But how do YOU go about picking a class?
- Do you take the pragmatic approach? (What might I want to do? Which class is most likely to let me do it? Which class looks as though it’s going to be stronger/more desirable in PvE/ PvP?)
- Do you have a list of desired qualities, and just mark off different classes until you end up with the best match? (e.g. must be able to heal, must be mobile, must be able to be a gnome, etc.)
- Do you like to try something new? (e,g. must be something I haven’t played before? must be able to be the new race/ class? must be the one with the cool new mechanic?)
- Do you stick with an old favourite?
- Do you pick that class that always made you jealous? (e.g. if you can’t beat them, join them!)
- Do you secretly admire a character in your guild/ raid and plan to emulate them? (e.g. I always wanted to be …. a shield tank?)
- Do you get together with a bunch of friends and pick classes together for a levelling group?
- Do you like to do a lot of research, or just try a few different classes and see what sticks?
- Do you just say ‘oh, to hell with it’ and plan on having loads of alts so that you don’t have to choose yet?