So here’s my brief list of people who might have a legitimate reason for not wanting their real name to show up on Blizzard forums:
- anyone who is worried about gender/ racial harassment and whose name reveals their gender/ race/ etc
- anyone worried about harassment from other players for any other reason (eg. nasty ex-partner, etc.)
- any community manager – these guys regularly get death threats. (Albeit not from realID accounts, I assume.)
- anyone unlucky enough to share their name with a convicted criminal, paedophile, or anyone famous (expect to get harassed in game.)
- anyone with an unusual name who works in a field where it would look really bad if they play games with minors in their spare time (eg. teaching), esp. where many people might not understand gaming culture.
- anyone who prefers to keep their gaming life separate from their professional life, and who knows people who play WoW who they would prefer did not also know their characters.
- anyone who prefers to choose who knows their real name, rather than ‘anyone who browses the forums’
I’m just puzzled at Blizzard taking the step from, “Of course you will be able to control who sees your realID,” to “we changed our minds and decided that anyone who browses forums should see it.” I presume forums will definitely be easier to moderate when no one posts to them.
Note: I realise that just about everyone is posting about this. But the more people complain the more it gets heard.