It must be at least a year since I last guesstimated that CCP/ White Wolf were about to loose the blinds from their long awaited Word of Darkness MMO. And I was wrong last time.
In particular, one of the panels on the schedule for Saturday 25th Sept is on “Tell the World of Darkness Development team what you want to see in the MMO.” A sign of things to come, or just a tease from a gaming company who know that their fans have an interest in the genre?
It does now have me thinking about what I personally would want to see in a WoD MMO.
- Vampire-centric. The WoD gets muddled as you add more supernaturals and there are balance issues, those work better as mysterious NPCs.
- Big emphasis on politics, alliances, turf wars, and gathering influence and information.
- Real world setting. A big city to explore.
- PvP as economic and influence struggle as well as face to face combat.
- Be able to make a vampire that perches on rooftops, as per Underworld or Christopher Walken in Prophecy.
- Lots of blood. And dressing up.
In any case, a company that is asking fans about what they want to see doesn’t sound like one that is ready to release a game any time soon. I’d say 2012 at the earliest for this one. And it will be nice for fans of modern urban fantasy to have a few options on the table, between WoD and The Secret World.
Are you looking forwards to the World of Darkness MMO, and what would you want to see in it?