Hope you all are having a good weekend. It actually isn’t raining here which is astounding because it is both August Bank Holiday and Festival weekend (I’m not going this year but can hear it from my house).
- Peter Molyneaux reckons that Americans find it harder to play evil characters than Europeans or Japanese. Write up via The Escapist and Game Set Watch.
- Brian Crecente@Kotaku enjoyed trying Diablo III’s witch doctor at Gamescom, but wonders how much of that is down to nostalgia. Do we like games because they’re good or because they remind us of other games we used to like?
- Game by Night has some good advice for avoiding keyloggers, and how to get rid of them if you do pick one up.
- Kinless is getting conflicted signals from Blizzard. On the one hand they encourage alts (heirloom gear, new classes) but on the other hand … where are the new character slots? Do Blizzard love alts or hate them?
- There are a few games in open beta at the moment. Julian@Kill Ten Rats asks whether Open Betas really work as beta tests.
- Rohan ponders why players hate the new faction leaders in WoW so much – Garrosh and Varian are not well liked.
- Romantic subplots in games like Mass Effect and KOTOR are not without their critics. I have said before that it felt to me like ‘select the right options and get the girl’. Kotaku points to an article on gamecritic.com by Alex Raymond who argues that games present a model where sex is given out as a reward (just like epics), not shown as part of an ongoing relationship.
- G Christopher Williams at Popmatters asks why it’s always more fun to kill Nazis, and whether it matters.
- Runeforge Gossip has some advice for anyone who wants him to respond to their LFG(uild) posts.
- That’s a Terrible Idea unearth the rotting corpse of the GNS model and ask how we can get more simulationism in our MMOs. How can we focus more on immersion and the experience of being a ((insert race/class/etc here)) and less on achievements and rewards?
- Tobold gets some interactive drama going with his readers, otherwise known as the Is he? (Gevlon) or Isn’t he? dance. Personally I’m so happy to get any comments at all that I’m not inclined to mess with people’s heads just for the sake of it … or am I?
Blogs about new games
There were a lot of announcements about new games during cons recently, and we’re not done yet. If you want to follow the news about an upcoming game, why not subscribe to one of the blogs and let someone else do the work? 🙂
- Diablo III: Kurast Docks
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Darth Hater
- Final Fantasy XIV: ffvixcore.com (part of the curse network already)
- Guild Wars 2: Guild Wars 2 Official Site (can’t find any blogs about this one yet)